You can use the box below to search within my site:-
Custom Search

 

Painted Rearsets

 

I've been wanting to do this for ages. I would have preferred powder-coating, but firstly it's expensive, secondly I was too lazy to look for someone to do it. Also, I couldn't get the rubber bits out, so they couldn't be baked. I just decided to clean, prime, paint and lacquer them. Unfortunately, my facilities for painting suck - a damp garage with very little room, too much dust, too colds and no electricity.

I taped off a couple of bits, cleaned and dried them and them primed:-


Here it is in the middle of painting:-



And here it is drying:-


I also painted the bolt heads etc:-


Drying again:-


I took all the bits off the levers too:-


And here it is being painted:-


After painting the bolts and gear shift rod, I baked them in the oven to get the paint to harden:- 


Here the bits are looking shiny after being lacquered. I can't lacquer on coloured paint, but I can manage black:-


Here with the bits put together:-

I didn't completely like the shape of my Oberon footpegs. You can see what they look like here. I filed down the ends so that the pegs are more comfortable. This is in the middle of the process:-


Here you can see the new shape of the pegs:-


Here you can see them after priming:- 


Looking nice:-


Looking damn nice now:-


After being used a while, the paint has lasted pretty good and they are getting a bit dirty:-


The paint didn't stick too well to the primer in a few bits and needs redoing:- 


Here you can see where it bubbled up a bit:-


Another view:-


Overall, I think that the rearsets look much much better from a distance now, but the painting option isn't good enough. I need to work out how to get out the rubber bits and get them properly sand-blasted and powder-coated at a later date. Better for now though.

 

If anything on my site has been helpful to you, please click on an interesting-looking ad below:-